1. I am thankful the stranger not wearing any pants in my house last night was Roommate R’s brother– and not someone who had broken in to kill me.
2. I am thankful for friends who know how to cook turkeys and make stuffing and mash potatoes are kind enough to invite me, my two brothers, father and his lady friend over for Thanksgiving dinner.
3. My little brothers. Tim texted me last night from the airport– the chickens have reached the launch pad! I’m thankful for those little chickens. As much as I joke about how I would have been an excellent only child (and I would have) I love those two boys to pieces.
4. I’m thankful for the man who invented Craig’s List. Never did I think that moving in with a bunch of dudes off Craig’s List would turn out so well. There are dirty dishes in the sink and sometimes it is colder inside my house than it is outside, but the boys get me things off the top shelf in the kitchen that I can’t reach and dispose of the dead mice.
5. I’m thankful for Brynn– as she has fielded every single hysterical phone call and text message and G chat since I’ve been promoted. I would’ve been canned long ago if she wasn’t willing to remind me that the Boss Man prefers Hilton hotels and where to find missing documents. I’m not sure I could have done it without you.
6. I am thankful for polar fleece sheets and sleeping with the widows open in November. And beautiful fall afternoons spent drinking lattes and walking through Congressional Cemetery.
7. I am thankful for the women working at the 8th Street Starbucks this morning. Ladies, that first latte was delicious. As was the 2nd.
8. I was told in my performance review a couple weeks ago that I had a “very strong personality” in a manner that suggested my manager felt it was a weakness, as opposed to strength. I couldn’t figure out if I should laugh or cry but ultimately decided “duh, have you met my mother?” would have been the most proper response.
There is nothing in this world my mother can’t do. And she firmly believes– and tells me often– that there isn’t anything in this world I can’t do. My mother and her many sisters taught me everything I know about what it means to a good woman and for that I am thankful.
9. I’m thankful that my father didn’t ruin my life when he moved to Washington, DC. I’ll admit, Old Man (who you callin’ old?!), I was unsure about how this would go down, but it it’s actually been quite nice.
10. From Tim: I am thankful that my sister cooked me breakfast. And that The Breakfast Club is on TV. And that Rachel’s TV is HUGE. (Editor’s note: Roommate A’s TV is HUGE.)
On the real– I’ve got more people on my team than any girl has a right to and I’m thankful for each and every one. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Back at it Monday morning.