1. Happy (belated) birthday, ‘Muuuurica! I only remember birthdays these days if there are Facebook reminders and even then I forget half the time. I hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday and remembered to go show up at the office this morning. I was certainly confused about what day of the week it was for most of yesterday. But I was also a bit on the hungover side, so there’s that.
2. Speaking of hangovers. I will certainly be blaming the high temperatures in Washington, DC for yesterday’s. Being outside in the District is like INSTANT dehydration/immediate potential of passing out. I can actually feel the sun touching me. And it is not a warm and fuzzy feeling, as one would imagine it to be when dreaming of summer during a blizzard in February. It’s terrible. I do solemnly swear never to bitch about winter ever again.
3. I also did not know one could sweat this much. Like seriously, dudes. How is anyone supposed to date when the temperature is in the triple digits. How do you introduce yourself? Hi, my name is Rachel. Normally my hair isn’t this gigantic (humidity!), nor is my make-up sweating off my face. But you look like shit too! Want to grab a drink sometime?
4. There is no one in the office this week and I have a very limited list of things to do. Most of which I accomplished by 10AM Monday and that included a 30 minute coffee break. I’ve spent the last hour trying to figure out how to fish-tail braid my hair. It’s only working well to moderately well.
5. I bought an iPhone this week and it’s been stressful. When I first left the Sprint store, I was tempted to ask for bubble wrap to properly secure it in my purse. I’m told I will no longer be afraid of it very soon. Most likely around the first time I drop it and it doesn’t shatter into a million pieces. If it does, however, shatter into a million pieces, I will most likely be scared of it forever and return to my purple phone that did two things: text and make phone calls. And did neither thing well.
6. I am looking forward to Instagraming the shit out of everything. Or as I accidentally call it once– hipstagraming.
7. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned my favorite July game lately– gunshot or fireworks? A Capitol Hill tradition since…well, I assume forever. We could see most of the fireworks from the Mall yesterday evening from a friend’s rooftop porch (Senate Square was all up in our way) but quickly turned our attention away from the Mall to watch the rogue fireworks shows going on in the neighborhood. They were better. Probably because there was the added thrill that they might hit us in the face. They didn’t.
The fear was a little more founded biking home from the party. At one point, a firework shot into a top of the tree and embers fell down to the ground in front of me seconds before I biked under said tree. At least I was wearing my helmet. Safety first.
8. How come no one has bought me one of these muscle shirts yet?
9. This happened. And I think it’s hilarious. Like so so funny. HUGE fail, San Diego.
10. Song of the week.